About Me

My photo
I started reading comics regularly after 'Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns'. Since then, I've become a co-host on 'The LanternCast' (a podcast dedicated to Green Lantern that's been on the air since 2008), started a new podcast covering the late 1980's DC series Action Comics Weekly (appropriately titled The Action Comics Weekly Podcast), and have been the curator of THE blog on the internet dedicated to the character of Ragman, created by Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert published by DC Comics starting in 1976 and currently appearing on The CW show 'Arrow' as portrayed by actor Joe Dinicol. I'm an avid fan of comics, classic rock, and speaking my mind. Welcome!

Sunday, December 4, 2011

To Be A "Semi-Ludicrous" Blogger...

It's been quite some time since I bothered with anything blog related. In fact, I believe I've had three start/falter/fail blogs before this very one. Once upon a time I would've opened up a blog with introspective rambling about myself. Vain attempts to come across as witty or remarkable. Truth is, I've lost alot of my steam. So I decided to start up this bad boy.

Yup, I LOST steam and then became productive. Fascinating right? Anywho, if you weren't able to determine, I'm a Green Lantern fan. Big time. As a matter of fact, I'm a co-host on a podcast known as The Lanterncast! which is self proclaimed "The Foremost Green Lantern Podcast on the Internet". Before you get caught up in my Internet celebrity, take note; I didn't start this fantastic downloadable show. That credit goes to Jim Ford and Dan Kurtzke. I joined much later and in stages. At first, I was just a listener of the show intent on getting DC to get off their collective asses and create a full length Green Lantern documentary. Well, that failed. Not for lack of trying though. Before Warner decided to inform me of their copyright claims, I had already made contact with MULTIPLE Green Lantern creators from past series. Contacts that came in handy much later.

Once the documentary idea sputtered and died, I became an involved listener of the podcast. Leaving voice mails, questions, suggesting content, hunting down clips for their 'Best Of' episode and even making a guest appearance or two. Then came Free Comic Book Day two years ago. I found out that Scott Kolins was going to be signing in one of my local comic shops (or LCS). So I snagged my sketchbook, some extra cash and my portable voice recorder and hit the road. After the crowds in the shop died down a little I asked Scott if he would be willing to do an interview for the podcast. Posing as the Lanterncasts roving reporter I managed to record my first interview on behalf of the show I loved. It served as a tidy wrap-up to their FCBD talk and I was hooked.

A few months later when co-host Dan Kurtzke temporarily stepped down due to time constraints, Jim Ford (and program director Jason Grice) went on a co-host hunt. Not to REPLACE Dan, but to insert a rotating cast of guests to fill his place until he could return. So he picked me and few others. But not before he gave me an assignment. Jim wanted me to start recording something called, "The Larfleeze Report". This new segment for the show would involve me searching for every Green Lantern related thing solicited in the latest issue of 'PREVIEWS' and pimping it out for the listeners. Wasn't long before I got creative and added Marvel Picks, Indy Picks and Picks of the Week.

Somewhere along the line they made me an official co-host (I even got the snazzy podcast email account to prove it) and there I was. I put my documentary contacts to good use and we eventually got to interview one of the legends of the comic book industry, Mr. Denny O'Neil. That interview was one of my favorite moments on the show and I will long be grateful to Jim, Dan and Jason for giving me the ability to secure that interview in some tangible form. Well, that interview put me on a high because hey, if I could interview a LEGEND everyone else is a piece of cake. So a few months later I found myself procuring a press pass to Wizard World Austin and securing three more interviews back to back to back in the form of Tom Nguyen, Mark A. Nelson and Mike Bullock. That episode (the most recent to go up at the time of this posting) was quite fulfilling and instilled confidence in me to hopefully continue doing more interviews for the show and (who knows?) maybe this blog.

So why do a blog and why did you have to wade through all that history to get to this point? Well, on the show, even back when I was just making suggestions and asking questions, I 'called' alot of things. In the beginning these ideas hardly ever came to pass. More often than not they were wildly out of left field. Then they got closer and closer to what the creators actually ended up doing and soon enough I was getting a few right. But our show can't always be focused on wild predictions. And if you listen to the show, you know my ideas (while respected for sure) get alot of hazing because I'm the new guy (and because they're....well, ludicrous). So I've invented my own way of putting these theories "on the record" so to speak. Timestamps and episode numbers are hell to go back and keep track of, so I figured a blog posting with a clear date and time would help me gain a bit of legitimacy in the show ranks.

Kidding. I'm doing this for the hell of it. Oh...and to rub it in Jim's face when I actually DO get one right...cause Oa knows I don't get to do that enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment